Soothing Bedtime Golden Milk
with the Legendary Health Benefits of Turmeric & Ginger
March – April 2023 • Vol 4, No 3
An easy, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, cold-fighting recipe for a golden-warm, vegan, turmeric latte that will help you sleep, improve your mood, and may even improve your memory. The natural-health benefits are many!
Ever since adding Getting a Great Night’s Sleep to my list of intentions, I’ve been putting more thought into how I spend the last 90 minutes before I climb into bed. And by “more,” I mean that I’ve actually been thinking about it, period. If you are looking for ways to relax, unwind, and improve your sleep—or if you simply like the idea of a warm, tasty beverage adding a little cozy to your evening—this Soothing Bedtime Golden Milk recipe has been a wonderful addition to my nighttime routine, and I can see it having a welcome spot in yours, too!
I’ve heard a lot about “golden milk” over the years, but I didn’t fully understand or appreciate its benefits. I’d seen enough recipes for it floating around the web to know it contained turmeric and ginger (the sources of its signature golden hue), but I didn’t connect it with sleep until I decided to get more serious about my own.
I’ve always thought the idea of a “nighttime routine” or “bedtime rituals” sounded either silly or reserved for someone far more in touch with their inner juju than me. Now that I’m paying more attention to how I spend my pre-bedtime hours, I realize that I DO have a bedtime routine: Checking my phone, finishing miscellaneous household tasks, and thinking about my to-do list for the next day—all kind of BORING! So, to improve on that, I now LOVE making myself a cup of this easy, Soothing Bedtime Golden Milk about an hour before bed.
In addition to soothing me to sleep, this bedtime ritual has also helped me appease my nightly craving for something sweet before bed. With this warm, golden elixir I find myself feeling completely satisfied and ready to “lay me down to sleep,” knowing that these healthful ingredients are working their magic for me all night long…
About the Ingredients
- Almonds: Rich in magnesium, which promotes both sleeping and muscle relaxation. This golden milk recipes uses them in the form of almond butter and almond milk.
- Honey: Allows tryptophan (of Thanksgiving turkey fame) to enter the brain more easily.
- Ginger: Calms the stomach and promotes relaxation. Some studies suggest ginger can help reduce anxiety.
- Turmeric: Aids digestion and has calming properties, which lead to sounder sleep. If you have aches and pains, golden milk for joints is a popular remedy, as it is anti-inflammatory too.
- Cinnamon: Similar to turmeric and ginger, cinnamon also helps with digestion (and it’s a delicious pairing with the other ingredients).
Serving: 12 oz
Calories: 129k cal
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Protein: 3 g
Fat: 5 g
Sodium: 181 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 12 g
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons honey plus additional to taste (to make vegan, swap maple syrup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus additional for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground ginger
- Optional additions: tiny pinch ground black pepper, ground cardamom, or ground cloves
- Combine the milk, honey, almond butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, and any optional spices in a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium until warmed through, whisking briskly so that the almond butter does not stick to the bottom and the spices incorporate. Do not let boil. Pour into a mug and sip deeply.
HOW TO STORE & REHEAT
- To Store. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container such as a mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, so I like to make a double or triple batch, then enjoy it several nights in a row.
- To Reheat. Reheat on the stove, stirring to recombine the spices and almond butter.
This post originally appeared on Well Plated and was published September 25, 2020. Republished with permission. Want more easy, healthy recipes? Get Well Plated’s Newsletter at WellPlated.com.
10 Benefits of Turmeric Golden Milk
- Loaded with Antioxidants
- May Reduce Inflammation
- May Improve Memory
- Curcumin May Improve Mood
- May Protect Against Heart Disease
- May Lower Blood Sugar Levels
- May Reduce Cancer Risk
- Antibacterial, Antiviral, Antifungal
- Ginger & Turmeric Improve Digestion
- Calcium & Vitamin D Make Stronger Bones